papers and preprints I’ve contributed to
my full CV as a PDF or as a plaintex YML
also see my google scholar page
- data / code
- citation (bibtex)
- Beheim, B., et al. Treatment of missing data determines conclusions regarding moralizing gods. Status: in review, Nature Matters Arising
- Minocher, R., Atmaca, S., Bavero, C., McElreath, R., & Beheim, B. Reproducibility improves exponentially over 63 years of social learning research. Status: in review, eLife
- Tran, N.H., Waring, T., Atmaca, S., Beheim, B. Entropy trade-offs in artistic design: A case study of Tamil kolam. Status: in review
- Fedorova, N., McElreath, R., Beheim, B. The complex life course of mobility: Quantitative description of 60,000 residential moves in 1850-1950 Netherlands in review, Evolutionary Human Sciences
- Trumble, B., et al. Assessing the energetic costs of testosterone: Higher testosterone associated with total energetic expenditure above and beyond lean muscle mass. Status: in review, JAMA Cardiology
- Rowan, C., Atrial Fibrillation is rare in a contemporary, preindustrial non-Western, non-industrialized population with high inflammation and enlarged left atria. Status: in prep for European Journal of Preventive Cardiology
- Jaeggi, A.V., et al. Relative wealth and inequality associate with health in a small-scale subsistence society. Status: in review, eLife
- Schwartz, M., et al. The role of parity and sex in tooth loss in a natural fertility population with little access to dentistry. Status: in prep, AJPA
Publications in Print
Broesch, T., et al. (2020) Navigating cross-cultural research: methodological and ethical considerations Proc. R. Soc. B. 287:20201245.
Gurven, et al. (2020) Rapidly declining body temperature in a tropical human population Science Advances Vol. 6, no. 44, eabc6599 (credited for data curation)
Wood, et al. (2020) Step Counts From Satellites: Methods for Integrating Accelerometer and GPS Data for More Accurate Measures of Pedestrian Travel Journal for the Measurement of Physical Behaviour 3(1), pp. 58-66
- Borgerhoff Mulder, et al. (2019) Differences between sons and daughters in the intergenerational transmission of wealth Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 374:20180076
Ross, et al. (2018) Greater wealth inequality, less polygyny: rethinking the polygyny threshold model Journal of the Royal Society Interface 15:20180035
Trumble, B.C., Stieglitz, J., Jaeggi, A.V., Beheim, B., Schwartz, M., Seabright, E., Cummings, D., Kaplan, H., and Gurven, M. (2018) Parental hormones are associated with crop loss and family sickness following catastrophic flooding in lowland Bolivia Physiology & Behavior Volume 193, Part A, Pages 101-107.
Schniter, E., et al. (2018) Information transmission and the oral tradition: Evidence of a late-life service niche for Tsimane Amerindians Evolution and Human Behavior Volume 39, Issue 1, January 2018, Pages 94-105.
Kaplan, H., et al. (2017) Coronary atherosclerosis in indigenous South American Tsimane: a cross-sectional cohort study The Lancet Volume 389, Issue 10080, pp.1730-1739.
Gurven, M., Fuerstenberg, E., Trumble, B., Steiglitz, J., Beheim, B., Davis, H., Kaplan, H. (2017) Cognitive performance across the life course of Bolivian forager-farmers with limited schooling Developmental Psychology 53(1), pp. 160–176.
Blackwell, A.D., Urlacher, S., Beheim, B., von Rueden, C., Jaeggi, A., Stieglitz, J., Trumble, B.C., Gurven, M., Kaplan, H. (2017) Growth references for Tsimane forager-horticulturalists of the Bolivian Amazon American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 162(3), pp.441-461.
Gurven, Michael, Stieglitz, J., Trumble, B., Blackwell, A.D., Beheim, B., Davis, H., Hooper, P., Kaplan, H. (2017) The Tsimane Health and Life History Project: Integrating anthropology and biomedicine. Evolutionary Anthropology. 26(2) pp.54-73.
Trumble, B. C., Stieglitz, J., Blackwell, A. D., Allayee, H., Beheim, B., Finch, C. E., Gurven, M., and Kaplan, H. (2017) Apolipoprotein E4 is associated with improved cognitive function in Amazonian forager-horticulturalists with a high parasite burden The FASEB Journal. 31.4, pp. 1508-1515.
Gurven, M., Costa, M., Eid Rodriguez, D., Stieglitz, J., Beheim, B., Trumble, B., & Kaplan, H. (2016). Health costs of reproduction are minimal despite high fertility, mortality and subsistence lifestyle. Nature Scientific Reports. 6(30056).
Jaeggi, A.V., Hooper, P.L., Beheim, B.A., Kaplan, H., Gurven, M. (2016) Reciprocal exchange patterned by market forces helps explain cooperation in a small-scale society. Current Biology. 26(16), pp.2180-2187.
Gurven, M., Trumble, B.C., Stieglitz, J., Yetish, G., Cummings, D., Blackwell, A.D., Beheim, B.A., Kaplan, H., Pontzer, H. (2016) High resting metabolic rate among Amazonian forager-horticulturalists experiencing high pathogen burden. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 161(3), pp.414-425.
Blackwell, A., Trumble, B.C., Maldonado Suarez, I., Stieglitz, J., Beheim, B.A., Snodgrass, J., Kaplan, H., Gurven, M. (2016) Immune Function in Amazonian Horticulturalists. Annals of Human Biology 43(4), pp. 382-396.
Mattison, S.M., Smith, E.A., Shenk, M.K., Cochrane, E. (2016) The Evolution of Inequality Evolutionary Anthropology 25.4, pp. 184-199. (acknowledged as data analyst, figure author)
Mattison, S.M., Beheim, B.A., Chak, B., Buston, P. (2016) Offspring sex preferences among patrilineal and matrilineal Mosuo in Southwest China revealed by differences in parity progression. Royal Society Open Science 3(9) 160526.
Stieglitz, J., Beheim, B.A., Trumble, B.C, Madiemenos, F.C., Kaplan, H. & Gurven, M. (2015) Low Mineral Density of a Weight-Bearing Bone Among Adult Women in a High Fertility Population. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 156(4), pp.637-648.
Blackwell, A.D., Tamayo, M.A., Beheim, B.A., Trumble, B.C., Stieglitz, J., Hooper, P.L., Martin, M., Kaplan, H., Gurven, M. (2015) Helminth infection, fecundity, and age of first pregnancy in women. Science 350(6263) pp.970-972.
- Beheim, B. A., Thigpen, C. & McElreath, R. (2014) Strategic Social Learning and the Population Dynamics of Human Behavior. Evolution and Human Behavior 35(5), pp. 351-357
- Beheim, B. A. & Baldini, R. (2012) Evolutionary Decomposition and the Mechanisms of Cultural Change. Cliodynamics 3(2)
Beheim, B.A. & Bell, A.V. (2011) Inheritance, ecology and the evolution of the canoes of east Oceania. Proc. R. Soc. B 278, pp.3089–3095
Borgerhoff Mulder, M. & Beheim, B. A. (2011) Understanding the nature of wealth and its effects on human fitness. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 366: 344-35
- Borgerhoff Mulder, M., et al. (2009) Intergenerational wealth transmission and the dynamics of inequality in small-scale societies Science Vol. 326, Issue 5953, pp. 682-688 (as data analyst)